EXCLUSIVE: Introducing the Global Biological Accelerator
- The demand from regulators and consumers for ‘more biology, less chemistry’ is growing exponentially
- The sector requires a dedicated Accelerator to help scale qualified start-ups to build capability and capacity
- The Accelerator should be global in reach to capture 'best of breed' participants
- The Accelerator would target key global grower trial networks to enable its members to test solutions with different crops, in different growing environments, against measureable metrics
- Growers should play a key role in the innovation process to ensure effective commercial delivery and adoption.
The Global Biological Accelerator will be based out of the Western Growers Innovation & Technology Center in Salinas.
Its model however will have a very significant global virtual component. To enable innovators everywhere to participate 100% in the Accelerator program, the program format will make full use of available online tools to support participant engagement.
One additional key driver. To accelerate the impact of Grower Trial Networks, the Accelerator will leverage the counter-seasonal opportunity offered by northern and southern hemisphere growing seasons. This will enable Accelerator participants to trial solutions across two growing seasons per year. This will accelerate R&D and the timeframe for its commercialisation.
Each trial will be monitored by local partners to ensure that trial results are formally qualified. This will provide real-time feedback to the innovators engaged in the program to assist plan their work and process.
The Global Biological Accelerator will be supported by an Investment Committee. This Committee will identify the Accelerator's participants during the selection process as well as provide mentoring and advise around assessing and accessing capital and capability requirements. The Committee will use its extensive network reach to assist scale Accelerator cohort members.
To quote veteran Silicon Valley VC, Bill Reichert: 'Building a start-up has never been cheaper. Scaling one has never been more expensive'. The Investment Committee will include experienced members of the global biological ecosystem and venture capital sector to provide the range of advice needed.
To support innovators, investors and key stakeholders learn more about the opportunity, we'll be organising in-person workshops that will enable the Accelerator founding stakeholder group to provide more detail about the Program structure, as well as receive feedback from Summit delegates.
These will take place on Monday 19 June in Salinas, immediately prior to the main Summit. We'll post an update on the Summit website, closer to that date with more details about the venue and agenda.
To purchase your tickets for the Summit, please visit 2023 Salinas Biological Summit, Salinas, Tue Jun 20th 2023, 9:00 am - Wed Jun 21st 2023, 4:00 pm PDT | Humanitix